These instructions are to help with re-creating an already existing Turnitin Assignment to the new LTI version. If you need to create an entirely new Turnitin Assignment, see the Creating a New Turnitin Assignment article.
Identifying old format Turnitin assignments.
- The old Turnitin assignments will still exist and you can identify them by the view/complete link present where they are deployed in the course.
- The new format looks much more similar to regular module items.
- Turnitin tends to error out if you have more than one assignment open in the same browser and try to submit changes, even if you are using different tabs. For this reason, it is best practice to either use 2 separate browsers at once or just make sure you are exiting out of the old assignment before submitting changes to the new.
Steps to replace the old format assignment.
- Open the context menu and click edit on the old assignment in one browser or tab (I like to open them on separate screens if you have dual monitors)
2. Now that you have one tab/browser displaying the settings for the old assignment go to your other tab/browser and navigate to the same module as the old assignment. Once there, hover your mouse on Build Content at the top of the page and select Turnitin from the list.
3. Now copy the setting from the old assignment to the new, make sure you expand optional settings to get those as well. Pay particular attention to the following.
c. Start Date/Due Date/Release Date
d. Allow late submissions
e. Similarity Report > Generate reports
4. Once you have copied the settings to the new assignment. If you are using tabs, close the old one first and give it time to exit.
5. After the old one has fully closed the new assignment can be submitted/created. If you are using separate browsers instead of tabs the order does not matter.
6. Now that the new format assignment has been created it will by default be at the bottom of the module where it was created. At this point you may want to check the grade center to confirm where in the column order the old assignment was.
7. Now move the new assignment up to the position of the old assignment and delete the old one.
8. Move the new grade column to the location of the old one using Column Organization.
9. (Final Step)The new format Turnitin assignment will not automatically be added to the Turnitin category in the grade center. This means if a final grade is weighted by category the columns will need to be manually changed from “No Category” to “Turnitin Assignment” using column organization.
Article is closed for comments.