LockDown Browser is a locked browser for taking tests in Blackboard Learn. It prevents you from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during a test. If a Blackboard test requires that LockDown Browser be used, you will not be able to take the test with a standard web browser. LockDown Browser should only be used for taking Blackboard tests. It should not be used in other areas of Blackboard.
1. Installing LockDown Browser.
- Be aware LockDown browser will not be compatible with Chromebooks for UA testing.
- To install LockDown Browser, look for the following widget after logging in to ualearn.blackboard.com. It should be located in the center of the screen. Click on the "Download Respondus Lockdown Browser" link.
2. Taking a Test.
- Close all programs, unless one is used to connect you to the Internet.
- Locate the “LockDown Browser” shortcut on the desktop and double-click it.(For Mac users, launch “LockDown Browser” from the Applications folder.)
- From the Choose Server drop down menu choose "Blackboard Learn".
- If prompted, either close a blocked program (e.g. screen capture, instant messaging) by choosing Yes. Or, close LockDown Browser and close the blocked program before restarting.
- Log into Blackboard.
- Navigate to the test within the course and select Begin Exam.
- The test will then start. (Note, once a test has been started with Respondus LockDown Browser, you cannot exit until the Submit button is clicked.)
3. Using Respondus Monitor.
- You may be required to use LockDown Browser with a webcam, which will record you during an online, non-proctored exam. (The webcam feature is sometimes referred to as “Respondus Monitor.”) Your computer must have a functioning webcam and microphone. A broadband connection is also required. If a quiz requires LockDown Browser and a webcam, follow the steps in the previous “Taking A Test” section. At this point the Startup Sequence for the webcam begins.
- The Webcam Check will confirm that your webcam and microphone are working properly.
- The remaining steps of the Startup Sequence will depend on settings chosen by your instructor. Follow the instructions and note your progress along the left side of the screen.
- If you encounter a problem, select the It’s not working link for troubleshooting tips.
- The test will begin after the Startup Sequence is complete.You cannot exit LockDown Browser until the quiz is submitted for grading.
Article is closed for comments.